Sunday, August 10, 2008

Rain? What rain? A couple of dedicated guys - part 2


The year's wet weather is not a barrier to two SOSA pilots accomplishing milestones: a return to solo flying, and a multi-hour flight.
On Monday August 5th, Dave Simek (bottom photo) flew solo, returning to flying after many years away from soaring. A few days earlier, Poul Hansen (top photo) did his first five hour flight. Poul's flight is the second successful five hour duration flight from SOSA this season. The flight, often called the "silver duration", is part of the requirements for the FAI silver badge.
Dave says, " With the continual help and quality training from the instructors I was up to speed in no time. I found that if I was able to dedicate the time, then someone at the club most certainly was willing to accommodate. After 18 years of not flying I was not sure what to expect but the enthusiasm at SOSA is contagious. I showed up in late October of last year and talked to Dan Bush who said, 'this week should have a nice day. E-mail me if you can make it.'
We were out on the Wednesday for five flights as easy as that! After some more training, the next thing I know "thumbs up" and nobody in the back seat! Just amazing! Thanks Guys! "